Friday 24 June 2016

Day 37, to Smolenskoye  106km , 2927km to date,  277m up, 225m end

An easy ride today, essentially flat, no wind, overcast and threatening to rain, but no rain yet.  Just before the end of the day, we passed the most northern spot of the tour, 52deg 20 min N.

We are going through open essentially flat farmland.

In Gorno, I noticed that many of the busses were powered by compressed natural gas (they had about 6 or 7 cylinders on top of the bus.

I’ve also noticed some heavy vehicles having an odd exhaust smell, I’m told it is because they are using rapeseed oil.

In camp again tonight.  In the last several camps, I’ve been entertained by all the song birds waking me in the morning - the racket has been impressive, something we seem to have lost at home.  Yes, we continue to hear the cuckoo birds all day and all night - I think they are trying to tell us something…

From my earlier posts you will know that I found the Mongolian sections of this ride incredible tough - the TDA guys say that section was the hardest of any of the TDA tours.  I guess I can take some pride in that.

In case any of you aren’t aware how expensive cellphone service is at home:  in Russia, I bought a SIM card for $3 CDN, then bought 2 gig of data for another $3CDN - so for $6 I am set till the 2 gig run out.  I will be out of the country by then,

Some pics from Gorno Altaysk:





From todays ride:  Open farmland:





My tent in the planted forest:




No comments:

Post a Comment