Monday 2 September 2019

Riding day #4, August 27, 2019:  Leh to Lato:  1150M up, 75km, 4,020m (13,188ft) end

A shortish day but mostly a long steady climb.  I continue to be amazed at how dry it is, the occasional bits of snow we see are way up there, probably close to 18,000+ feet.

I have now completed my official welcome to India, yes, I am referring to having diarrhea - a very short bout, essentially over within 12 hours.  If that is the only problem I have I will be extremely happy!

In case any of you care, the official point that you are over a bout of diarrhea is when you can fart with confidence.  I had to add this, just so people would know it is the real me writing this.

Our hotel in Leh was very nice, 4star+, but about a 1km walk up a rough gravel road:



but a bit narrow for two cars to pass


cow rush hour traffic jam


One thing that Dunnery has learned is that toilet paper is something very valuable and something one always carries.  No toilet paper in “facilities” is common. 


A couple pics leaving Leh:






The Shey Palace


a typical lunch stop



Most of the ride was up a valley like this.  They seem to understand proper gender roles here!



This area has the highest number of Snow Leopards in the world, but one would have to be exceedingly lucky to see one.

India is very much a vegetarian country and we have been warned that the next week will be vegetarian only.  So far I have managed, but as a dedicated carnivore this might be a challenge.


Tomorrow is the big day of the trip, big climbing and we hit the max elevation of the trip, felt fairly strong today, but I’m not sure about another 5,000 ft….

No comments:

Post a Comment