Wednesday 11 September 2019

Riding day #15, Sept 10, 2019 Rampur to Shimla, 131km, 2,436M (8,000 ft) up, 2,999M end

This was the hardest riding day I have ever done, started with an easy 25km rolling section, then one continuous climb of 1,850M over 37km - i.e. 6% continuous, no breaks, then rolling hills with two more climbs.  An absolutely huge day.  The hardest day I have ever done.  I’m getting quite comfortable riding in the heavy traffic, heavy trucks, small trucks, cars, pedestrians, cows, donkeys, dogs, occasional monkeys, etc.,

TDA has a rule of no riding after dark.  Based on the elevation profile and distance, I knew that only if I hustled could I make the 6:30 cut-off for dark. (We are in the tropics, so only about 12hours of daylight).  I made OK time to lunch (about 2/3rd’s of the way up the big climb), then I knew I had to press it to make it by 6:30.  With about 25km to go the TDA people stopped me, we were into some fairly dense fog and they were concerned about safety.  Was I being ordered to stop or were they just being cautious?  Let me phone and check with the boss.  No way was I going to wait for permission, I had not been told to stop so made a run for it.  Rae Simpson (fighter test pilot) joined me.  We escaped cleanly, the fog lifted and we pressed hard to make it to the Hotel by 6:30.  An absolutely glorious ride, heavy traffic, through a busy pedestrian Mall, through a tunnel and a big downhill (passing cars and trucks).  I was absolutely exhausted, could barely stand at the end.  The pleasure of maintaining EFI was absolute!  I know, I know, little boy stuff, but it sure was fun (but very very hard).  

I estimate it was a 10,000 calorie day, that will take more than one or two beers to make up.

Normally I hand wash my riding clothes each day, but today I looked at my shirt, it was disgusting, so into the hotel laundry.  It may take a miracle to return it to white.

Some pics from the day:

The proprietress of a small store I stopped at.

I think all the netting is to keep birds off the apples

Around Shimla



Now in Shimla for two rest days, then on to Rishikesh.  Shimla was the British headquarters, both administrative and socially, we are on a high hill, actually 7 hills,  hence the term Hill Station.  Above the heat and humidity of the surrounding valleys.

No comments:

Post a Comment