Friday 16 September 2016

Day 114 to Tehran, Iran, 66km, 9,466 to date, 1223m up,  1216m end. 

I found the day hard, but probably a result of 5 hard days in a row.  We were bussed the last 60km into Tehran - all very busy freeways with no shoulders for cycling - it would have been way too dangerous to cycle.  We now have two rest days to explore and enjoy Tehran.

Tehran is  a huge city, some 15  - 18 million people.  Although in the West we hear about the embargo and how much it is hurting Iran, you don’t see it.  All the latest electronics are here, as are the high end stores (Rolex, Gucci, etc.,).  Apparently there are some 200 “illegal” ports that bring in (and export) goods.  I’m guessing, but suspect the embargo really means that only chosen “friends” get to trade - there are many very rich people in Iran, probably with corresponding very rich trade partners in the west.

First thing I noticed when I laid on the bed in the hotel room, was the arrow on the ceiling - it points to Mecca, so you know the direction to pray.




I have never been shaved by a barber, so off to a barber I went.  It was really delightful, it was mid afternoon, which means the off-time so no other waiting customers.  He spent over an hour shaving me, very carefully trimming hair/eyebrows/ears etc.,  At first I was a bit nervous of this guy taking a straight razor to my neck, but quickly relaxed.  Like many things here, any business conducted involves a cup of tea, so a cup of tea after the haircut it was.  The final result:



The location map: 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment