Friday 29 July 2016

Day 72 to Murghab, Tajikistan, 87km, 6206 to date.  570m up, 3498m end

Got rather cool in camp overnight, down to about -3C, cold enough to partially freeze my water bottles.  My tent is very comfortable when it gets cold - proof it is a 4-season tent.

Today was a major accomplishment!  Successfully rode over Ak-Baytal pass, at 4,664m (15,303ft), this is the highest I have ever cycled and the highest point of our full ride.  Yes, the high altitude made for a really tough climb.  After the climb we had headwinds all the way to Murghab, at first I wondered why I was working so hard whilst riding a modest downhill - then I realized that we are still at 13,500ft.


Murghab is a very modest town, I believe leftover from the Soviet days.  The hotel we are in is one the most “modest” hotels I have ever stayed in, having said that it is clean with a good enough restaurant and the beer is cheap.    But the power is off during the night and often doing the day.


Some pics from the climb, if there was a sound track it would be all heavy wheezing: 




At the summit:

The descent:

Some neat rocks:

The town of Murghab:

No comments:

Post a Comment