Wednesday 14 May 2014

May 14 - Shanghai

Blog update Wednesday May 14






Arrived Shanghai, uneventful trip, bike and baggage all happy here in hotel.

Ah yes, China where the painted lines on roads are treated as guidelines at best, a continuous mix of pedestrians, bicycles, electric bicycles and every type of motorcycle share all surfaces be they roads, sidewalks or whatever, the specs for hotel rooms do not include room “to swing a cat”, people hacking but not the spitting I remember from the last time I was here and great effort/artistry to lighting up at night buildings and features.    High humidity, one is sweating just sitting in the shade…  So far I don’t sense a high level of air pollution – the visibility isn't high, but I think that is more fog or fog-like than pollution.  Until some of my hair returns, I've also got to worry about sunburn on my head, something new to me.

I feel much happier now that I'm here, all the prep is behind me, now I just have to go for a bike ride each day for a few days…  I'm less worried about the ride than I was about completing all the prep.

I note that a huge amount of the stuff I've brought; clothes, bike parts, electronics, even the bags I'm using to carry everything are made in China, a sort of returning to Mecca for all the stuff.

New simcard and account for the smartphone, everything appears to work, but..

I tried to access and update the blog, access is being blocked.  I'm going to try via a VPN, we’ll see…   (updated by Dennis) 

No comments:

Post a Comment