Thursday 22 May 2014

Long day today 160km in 30+ degrees, the 2nd of what will be 6 days in a row.  We started off fairly easily with 3 days of 110, 153 and 128km, a rest day, now 6 in a row.  So far I haven’t had any troubles and have not found the rides too hard – maybe the prep did some good.  I’ve been a bit concerned with my knees, but they seem to be settling down, and yes after today the backside is a bit tender.  May try the butt grease tomorrow.




Some notes so far:

  1. There seems to be way less pollution than when I was in China 10 years ago, probably because all the scooters are now electric, also most of the bikes are electric.  There are lots of the 3 on 4 wheeled farm trucks, the ones with a motor on top of the front wheel and driven by 4 fan belts, compared to 10 years ago when almost were belching blue or black smoke, effectively none are now.  I think China is really doing something about both air pollution and carbon emissions.
  2. In the fancy hotels a bottle of beer is the equivalent of $1.60 served cold in the lobby.  Bought in the corner store, beer is $.50 for a 1 litre bottle
  3. The wearing of helmets is very rare, I have yet to see a cyclist or scooter with a helmet, possibly larger motorcycles, but definitely not any of the small to medium sized bikes, or tricycle versions
  4. The constant beeping and blaring of horns is annoying, however I think I’m starting to understand…  There is the short beep, just to let you know “I’m here”.  I had that happen on several occasions today whilst cycling into NanJing on a very busy 6 lane street with bicycle/scooter lanes on either side, and then it was under construction – a free for all by our standards.  Whenever a city bus was behind me, there was this short beep.
  5. All happy with the riding, riding in the city is by our standards absolute chaos.  However again I think I am starting to understand it – if at all possible everyone keeps moving.  It appears everyone is dodging in and out, and they are, however if one watches there is a huge amount of traffic moved very efficiently.

The food has been quite good, on riding days all breakfasts have been buffet style in the Hotel - very good selection other than coffee is questionable.  On riding days the dinners have also been in the hotels, these have been round tables with about 10 people to the table and a really good selection of food and yes some strange things e.g. chicken feet.  On the off days usually several people collect together and go somewhere.  What we have eaten has been very good, however the antics on ordering have been a challenge.  The lunches on riding days are make your own sandwiches + fruit +veggies - I’ve been happy, good enough food that I recognize and all you can eat.

I have been happily riding with the A team crowd a fair bit – I fit in quite well.  Riding with a group is good in that one drafts along and it is way less work.  The bad side is that you have to pay close attention which means you don’t get to look around.  So what I have been doing is riding by myself for about half the day, then with the group the other half.  Also I seem to be one of the better navigators, i.e. I don’t get lost. E.g. today I was the first to arrive at the hotel, the other A team riders had missed a turn.

The way a normal riding day works is as follows:
- night before there is a briefing and the route is outlined (see picture of route board)
- usually up for 5:45, breakfast at 6:00, start riding 6:30
- some people ride in groups, some by themselves
- lunch is usually on the side of the road (see picture) at around the 70 to 85k point
- arrive at hotel, provided you have not taken any “bonus tours” a.k.a. got lost
- check in, clean up, wash riding clothes (yes, I hand wash in the sink), do any repairs, shopping etc.,

- then the rider briefing and dinner

...Ron











No comments:

Post a Comment