Sunday 14 August 2016

Day 92 to Bukhara, Uzbekistan, 142km, 7,894 to date

Another hot but easy day, flat with a bit of wind behind.  At first light this morning, it was almost cool, but as soon as the sun breaks over the horizon it quickly heats up.  My bike computer showed 40C most of the ride, the official temp is 37C from essentially 11:00 to 18:00

At one point today there was what I believe was an old mosque that never got completed, probably ran out of money.  It’s a protected heritage site, however it is also a wonderful climbing wall:




Day 91 to School yard camp, Uzbekistan, 125km, 7,752 to date

A hot but easy day, flat a bit of wind behind.

I started the day feeling good and strong, riding strong to camp.  However at camp my gut problems have returned.  Our medic has now given me stronger drugs.  Hope they work, I’m getting a bit down about it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the countryside today - continuous small village and farms, I had thought we would be in a bit more desert conditions.  We’ll see that after Bukhara.

The restaurant that we went to for dinner our last night in Samarkand, it was excellent.  The largest currency bill here is a 5,000 Som note, this is about a CDN dollar.  When you change money you get some 5,000, but most 1,000 Som notes.  So when we paid our bill in the restaurant, although about 1/4 of the price at home, t involved a fair pile of bills paying for it.









Pamir video:  TheTDA  guys have compiled a good video on the ride over the Pamir Highway:  see:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHS2uunqRb4     The guy in the white shirt at about the 1:45 minute mark is me.  Some of the footage was collected via the drone the TDA guys have.  All of the footage is of riding at about 15,000ft elevation.

Although this part of the world has created some of the ugliest “dudes” ever, it is also an amazingly civilized place.  This afternoon I was sitting under a tree in one of the many park areas in Samarkand updating this blog (laptop tethered to phone - best reception spot I could find).  An older gentleman sat down in the shade close to me.  We exchanged pleasant greetings.  When I got up to leave we exchanged the “honour to meet you” gesture of right hand over heart.  I find it humbling to be so easily accepted in such a different, far away country.

No comments:

Post a Comment